On January 25, 1914, William Henry Sampson, the first settler of Lake Worth township, along with fourteen other communicants, founded St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church. The first services of the mission church were conducted by the Rev. Gilbert Ottman, who came from Holy Trinity Church in West Palm Beach. The first building was constructed on the existing site in the fall of 1914, and a small concrete parish hall was added in 1920. This building was destroyed in the disastrous hurricane of September 16, 1928, but a new church took its place a year later. The handmade altar, an 18th Century Italian eagle lectern, and the cypress pews that furbished this new church are still in use today.
St. Andrews continued as a mission church until 1947 when the parish was finally established and Rev. Mason A. Frazell served as the first rector. He was followed by the Rev. Edward J. Watson in 1962 during whose tenure the church built the St. Andrew’s Residence Apartments in downtown West Palm Beach. During the time of the Rev. Garfield N. Brown, who became the rector in 1970, the stained glass windows were added to the sanctuary. These windows depict a variety of themes including past parishioners, the sacramental life of the church, the church year, and the spiritual qualities of faith, hope and charity. The Rev. William E. Hamilton served St. Andrews from 1986 to 2005 during which time the Integrity-Palm Beach chapter was formed, the parish hall was remodeled and made handicap accessible, a choir room added, a narthex erected, and a memorial garden created. Under our current rector, the Rev. Paul Rasmus, St. Andrew's has become involved in the local justice ministry, introduced both an annual concert and lecture series, and added a new state-of-the art organ.
Today St. Andrew’s is a living, loving church. Distinguishing our church today is its active pastoral ministry which reaches dozens of shut-ins and hospitalized persons weekly; a nursing home ministry; Sunday school; an active youth group; and Integrity chapter; and an ongoing program of forums, discussions and workshops of a religious and philosophical nature.
As it prepares to celebrate its centennial, St. Andrew’s embraces inclusion, love, tolerance and respect for everyone, realizing that we are all made in His image. Armed with God’s word and a strong faith, we dedicate ourselves with determination, zeal, and initiative, to facing tomorrow’s challenges with great expectation and hope.
Past Rectors of St. Andrew's